Archive Entry
Hobart Avenue: 303 Hobart Avenue, 1979
Photograph
Color slide of 303 Hobart Avenue taken by Owen Lampe in 1979. The house was built by Gilbert G. Brown, son of George Brown, who was the founder of a marble and stone cutting firm in Newark. The building was constructed from 1899-1902 using Indiana Limestone.
The design of the house was previously attributed to architect George B. Post, but research into the house by William Barry Thomson suggests it was designed by architect Tysilio Thomas, who lived at 105 South Terrace, and most likely designed that house also.
The house was sold to Moses Wilford Faitoute in 1925.
Gilbert G. Brown, son of Gilbert C. Brown, continued to lead the firm until his death in 1946.
There is an inscription for "Stonehaven" near the entrance driveway, but the house was also known as "Twin Oaks," which is how it appears on a 1906 map.
2024.026.208
Color Slide
Owen Lampe Slides
2024.026