19 Hillside Avenue, Short Hills
The Denman/Pettigrew house at 19 Hillside Avenue was built between 1910 and 1920. The garage (seen here) that was once part of the estate now belongs to the house next door.
562 White Oak Ridge Road, SH
An early real estate record for 562 white Oak Ridge Road in Short Hills.
2 Burnside Drive, Short Hills ca. 1966
This photo of the residence of 2 Burnside Drive in Short Hills was scanned from a ca. 1966 real estate record donated to the Millburn-Short Hills Historical Society. The card that accompanied the photo notes (in 1966) that the house was 36 years old and could be purchased for $43,000.00. It is also interesting to note that the house was heated by oil in a 550-gallon tank and the estimated annual cost for that oil was $300/year.
Residence Formerly at 275 Millburn Avenue
This residence formerly at 275 MIllburn Avenue was owned by Mr. and Mrs. George Berstler at the time this real estate record was created. Berstler was Millburn's superintendent of roads and in the early 1930s his five year old daughter Elizabeth was killed near her home, by an automobile. The site is home to the Footnotes shoe store in 2011.
87 Cedar Street, Millburn ca. 1960
This photo of 87 Cedar Street in Millburn was scanned from real estate files donated to the Millburn-Short Hills Historical Society. Records that accompany the card indicate that the house sold in 1986 for $242,000. It notes further that the "charming home is over 100 years old with updated kitchen, den with working fireplace mantel, pre-revolutionay war." the card adds, "Dog Butch is friendly but will bark".
91 Whittingham Terrace in 1952
This photo of 91 Whittingham Terrace, in the South Mountain section of Millburn, appeared in the 1952 Millburn & Short Hills Item newspaper. Photos of homes for sale or recently purchased often appeared in the local paper.
69 Stony Lane, Short Hills, in the 1940s
When a Maplewood real estate office closed a couple of years ago, many real estate records for Millburn and Short Hills homes were salvaged and donated to the Millburn-Short Hills Historical Society collection. This 1940s photo of 69 Stony Lane was among the salvaged records. Residents are invited to browse the records at the museum, for early photos of his or her home or others on that street.
Hessian House at 155 Millburn Avenue
Legend tells us that two Hessian soldiers fighting for the British in the Battle of Springfield decided they no longer wanted to fight in the war. The family living at this house at 155 Millburn Avenue then hid the two soldiers during the 1780 battle. Because of that the house is known locally as the Hessian House.
Marian Meisner's history of the town tells us the two soldiers were taken to the military court in Orange and were released. It's believed they settled in the White Oak Ridge area and one married the daughter of a farmer there. It's believed this started the VanWert family line in Millburn-Short Hills.
This historic photo of the Hessian House, floorplans, and a history of the house were found at the Library of Congress' Historic American Buildings Survey site, where it is recorded as the Smith-Henderson house, for early owners of the house.
Rose Cottage at 78 Chestnut St in Wyoming
This 1968 Item article notes that Rose Cottage, at 78 Chestnut Street in the Wyoming section of town, "...was one of the original Wyoming Development Houses" and "while the photo shows the house as it appeared in 1889, it was rebuilt with additions in 1923 and 1924. The house was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. George B. Thomas in 1918 and has been the Thomas residence since that time."
According to an historical society newsletter article about renowned Wyoming architect Joy Wheeler Dow, in about 1882 Dow, his sister, and his widowed mother moved to 78 Chestnut Street "which they called Rose Cottage. At that time Dow was a clerk in the New York Mining Exchange, but he was interested in making a career as an architect. So in 1890, with a little of the money left from his father's estate, he built a house of his own design on a lot behind Rose Cottage, at 234 Sagamore Road, which he named Greylingham."