Water Works, Millburn, NJ
Per Dave Hogenauer, South Mountain Reservation historian: "Samuel Campbell received a grant from King George III in 1756 to 120 acres, but he never took possession until after the Revolutionary War. He was a printer in NYC and built a paper mill on the pond, which we now call Campbell's Pond. He and his descendents built a large house on Brookside Drive opposite the dam, which stood there until the park purchased the land in 1899, and not having the funds to maintain it, (the park commission) tore it down...The mill burned down in the 1860s and was not reconstructed and the Campbells sold the pond and land immediately surrounding it to the city of Orange for its water supply. Orange built a new dam in 1898 and a steam-powered pumping station (the brick building with the tall smoke stack) to replace the dam that had been built by the Campbells. They pump their water around the southern end of South Mountain and then north to Orange. Now, of course, water from the Turtle Back Zoo area of the park, where the Orange Reservoir is located, also runs by gravity south along the Rahway River and follows the same route. In 2003 the City of Orange leased the operation of its water system to the United Water Co of Penn. At some point the system was converted to electrical pumping stations (a series of much smaller brick buildings) and the large pumping station on the pond was abandoned, but never torn down. It's now a decaying structure with graffitti and lots of broken glass and trash inside. There are no plans to demolish it or renovate it."