Glenwood School, Short Hills N.J.
The Glenwood School was erected in 1939. At the time it was the fifth public elementary school in Millburn Township. Over the years several additions have been made.
Private School, Short Hills N.J.
In July 1891, Stewart Hartshorn began constructiuon of this building on East Lane for his community school. On April 2, 1898. the school was encorporated as the Short Hills Country Day School. Over the years, a gym, a lunch room, and two additional buildings were built. In 1962, the buildings were sold to Christ Church and the school moved to a new campus at White Oak Ridge and Parsonage Hill Roads.
High School, Short Hills N.J., Ca. 1906
The Short Hills High School on Hobart Avenue opened in 1893. Not only was it the first high school in town, but it was the first modern brick school. It was enlarged several times and in 1922 it became the Short Hills Grade School, also called the Hobart Avenue School. At that time it was no longer needed for a high school because the new high school opened on Old Short Hills Road--in what is now the middle school.
High School, Millburn N.J.
This building, which is now the middle school, was the second high school in town. The new high school was opened in September 1922 and consisted of twelve rooms and a gymnasium/auditorium. Over the years, classrooms, an auditorium, and a second gymnasium have been added. An annex was erected in 1964 and a complete renovation of the old building was completed in 1980.
Municipal Building, Millburn N.J.
In 1912, a new town hall was built on the site at 375 Millburn Avenue to house the police department, the fire department, and municipal offices. The police department was on the left and the fire department on the right, with fire equipment behind the three doors in the center. The large room above the garage was the sleeping quarters for the firemen; it is now the Millburn Township Committee meeting room.
Town Hall, Millburn, N.J.
In 1912, a new town hall was built on the site at 375 Millburn Avenue. The police department was on the left and the fire department on the right, with fire equipment behind the three doors in the center. The large room above the garage was the sleeping quarters for the firemen; it is now the Millburn Township Committee meeting room.
Christ Church, Short Hills N.J.
The Christ Church (Episcopal) congregation was organized in 1882. Construction of the church building began in 1883 on land donated by Stewart Hartshorn at the corner of Highland Avenue and Forest Drive. In 1916, the church was enlarged, and again enlarged in 1936, 1951, and 1957.
St. Stephens P.E. Church, Milburn, N.J.
In September 1909, "E" sent this postcard to Miss Grace Vanderhof at 427 Grove Street in Irvington, NJ with the following message: "Dear Grace, Lonesome, so awfully lonesome. If your friends all lived in Newark and never came to see you, wouldn't you be lonesome too? Will be home week from Sunday. Love to all. This is where I was married."
Redstone at Knollwood and Wells Lane
William Russell called his Short Hills home, at Knollwood Road and Wells Lane, Redstone. When he suffered a financial reversal he was forced to sell Redstone and it became an inn. On February 5, 1934 Redstone Inn burned to the ground in a spectacular fire. Today the site is occupied by a number of houses built after the property was subdivided.
The Casino, Short Hills NJ
The Casino, or Music Hall, eventually became the Racquets Club, across from the Short Hills train station. A casino was a building room used for social amusements and this casino was designed by noted architect Stanford White. It was constructed in 1879 and was destroyed by fire in 1978.
Lackawanna Station on Essex Street
This Millburn railroad station was moved from Main Street to Essex Street and Lackawanna Place during the last major reconstruction of the line between 1907 and 1912. This imposing brick building was replaced by an office building.
The Arch Bridge on Morris Avenue
This rebuilt arch bridge over Morris Turnpike replaced in the 1890s a narrower arch bridge that developed a large crack at the top. Morris Turnpike was built as a toll road to the west, shortly after 1800. At gates along the route, farmers who maintained the road collected tolls.
Lackawanna Station, Millburn, NJ
Looking down Old Short Hills Road toward town in the 1890s, you could see the stairs to the westbound tracks of the second Millburn railroad station. The building reputedly was put together from some storage buildings erected while the roadbed was being realigned.
Short Hills Railroad Station
The Short Hills railroad station complex was originally completed in 1907 by the Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western Railroad. The two buildings were constructed as part of a general program of improvements initiated by railroad president William Truesdale. An earlier structure was privately built by Stewart Hartshorn in 1879 and was on the westbound side of the tracks.