Millburn Township's First High School
The Short Hills High School (left) opened in 1893. It was the first high school in town and was enlarged several times. In 1922 it became the Short Hills Grade School--also called the Hobart Avenue School. In 1984 the Hobart Avenue elementary school was demolished and new residences were built on the site (right).
Looking Up Baltusrol Way, SH
(Top) Looking up Baltusrol Way in Short Hills ca, 1910. Note the unpaved, dirt road and the clothes on the woman on the right, walking up Baltusrol.
(Bottom) Looking up Baltusrol Way in 2007. The poles are still on the right side of the road, but wires now create a visual grid in the sky. The house on the left in the top photo can barely be seen through the trees.
Whittingham Terrace Then and Now
At a quick glance, it appears that little has changed on Whittingham Terrace since the 1927 photo on the left was taken--other than the paving on the street and the car(s) in the driveway.
Fandango Mill Then and Now
The Fandango Mill on Main Street in Millburn was the last functioning mill in town. It closed about 1966, after which it was demolished and condos were built on the site. Evidence of the gates and walls that controlled the water can still be seen behind the condos at 206 Main Street, as seen in the bottom photo.
163 Main Street Then and Now
The photo of 163 Main Street (at the corner of Spring Street) on the left side of this composite image came from the historical society's collection and probably dates to the mid-1930s to the 1940s. The society has not yet identified the original owner of the lovely historic home or when it was replaced by the apartment building at the site when the 2011 photo was taken.
55-57 Main Street, Millburn Then and Now
DINNER WITH YOUR DESSERT?--The top photo here is from a real estate photo from a recent donation to the Millburn-Short Hills Historical Society and seems to date to the mid-1940s. Where you could then get cakes (at the Cake Cupboard at 57 Main) and ice cream (at the Park Coffee Shop at 55 Main), you could later get your dinner at restaurant mc when the Google Maps image below it was captured. The building is across from Taylor Park, which was obviously the inspiration for the coffee shop name.
AME Church on Church St in Millburn
The Mount Zion AME church at 54 Church Street was founded in the spring of 1888 by three former members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Springfield, as a place for African American domestic workers to have a place to gather and worship on Sunday morning. Shortly after the church’s founding, it moved to the Old Mountain House on Church Street. In 1889 the Rev. Chase was appointed and served as the first pastor of Mt. Zion AME Church.
Gentzel's Fine Groceries Then and Now
Gentzel's Store, on the northeast corner of Millburn Avenue and Spring
Street, was the finest store in this area in its heyday. It was built by
William Gentzel, who used to have a small store on Taylor Street, on the
north side, near Main Street. This building is at 387 Millburn Avenue,
between the Red Cross building and town hall.
Sunnyside at 39 Knollwood
The house at 39 Knollwood was nicknamed Sunnyside by an early owner, who later built Redstone diagonally across the intersection with Wells Lane. The left side of the photo here shows Sunnyside as it was when originally built.
South Mountain School Then and Now
Millburn Township purchased the site for the South Mountain School in 1924. The school, as seen in this postcard view on the left, opened in September 1936. Prior to that the children attended Wyoming School. South Mountain School has been enlarged several times, as can be seen in the photo on the right.
Main Street's Flynn's Tavern Then and Now
On the left side of this composite photo is the now-demolished, formerly very popular Millburn pub, Flynn's Tavern, which once stood on Millburn Avenue near East Willow Street. The tavern photo was scanned from the collection of resident Bea Hoffman, who faithfully photographed Millburn structures slated for demolition. Flynn's Tavern was demolished and replaced by the condos seen on the right side of the photograph, which photo was taken by resident John Murray.