Flagpole Sitter in Millburn Center
The flagpole that stood in the exact center of the intersection of Millburn Avenue and Main Street was eventually moved to Taylor Park because motorists were always crashing into it. This undated early photo is of a man bobbing around on the very top of that flagpole (the small dark blob at the center of the photo). Across the bottom of the photo is Millburn Avenue and the smokestack behind the fearless climber stood about where the middle school field is, across from the school.
Looking Up Main Street From Millburn Ave
This photo, taken at the intersection of Millburn Avenue and Main Street, was probably taken around the late 1940s. The photographer was looking up Main Street, toward what is now the middle school. The clock at Kaiser's drug store (where Gito is as of 2011) was a well-known local landmark.
Millburn and Main in the 1920s
This image was scanned from a circa 1920s real-photo postcard view of the intersection of Millburn Avenue and Main Street. The store on the left is now home to Gito. Note the two-way traffic on Millburn Avenue.
First National Bank in 1910
This photo of the First National Bank building was scanned from a postcard marked 1910. The building, which still stands at the corner of Millburn Avenue and Main Street, was built not much before 1909, as another postcard in the society's collection shows an earlier First National Bank business at another site in 1907.
Note that the property that became Taylor Park was behind the building and a tiny bit of it can be seen on the right side of the photo, because the building behind it now, at 64 Main, did not exist then.
Additional 1910 View of the First National Bank Building
From the collection of the Millburn-Short Hills Historical Society is this additional 1910 view of the First National Bank building at the corner of Millburn Avenue and Main Street. The narrow horizontal sign at the far right edge of the side of the building and the awning over the window on that right side are both marked "Campbell's Pharmacy." Behind the horse and wagon on Millburn Avenue are the present Millburn Deli and Sawhorse Designs buildings. The former Photography by Stieve building, now to the right of Sawhorse, was not yet built when the photo was taken.
Sam Taylor's Millburn Hotel
Sam Taylor's popular Millburn Hotel was originally on the corner of Millburn and Main where Starbucks is in 2011, at 343 Millburn Avenue. Sometime around the 1920s the hotel building was moved down Millburn Avenue, to approximately across from the Millburn Theater. The building has a brick face now, with diamond-shaped metal plates on the front facade. Rods go through the diamond metal plates, to hold the brick facade to the original hotel front.
Two-Way Horse and Buggy Traffic on Millburn Avenue
This undated early photo of Millburn Avenue looks east (toward Maplewood). The first building on the left side of the photo is now home to Futters shoe store. Apparently the store sold shoes then, too, as the awning says 'Silverstein/Dry Goods/Shoes.' The building to the right of that was Hartmann Bros Hardware Store. Today it is home to Suki's at 329 Millburn Avenue. The building beyond the one with the striped awning was Wittkop's Vaux Hall Inn, where "you could get the best fifty-cent meal in the state."
In addition to the two-way horse and carriage traffic, several other interesting items can be found in this photo. One item of note is the trolley tracks in the middle of the road. Another is the street sign on the far left, at what was not, we assume, a corner. Finally, a light-colored bell-shaped object hangs from the overhead wires, in front of the Silverstein awning. Is it an early street lamp? Is it hanging from the overhead wires?
MIllburn Avenue Toward Maplewood
Legend tells us that the light-colored horse on the left side of the street was taking himself to the blacksmith to be shod, with his dog companion beside him. A closer look at a more detailed scan, however, appears to show someone walking directly in front of the horse.
The photo shows Millburn Avenue, looking toward Maplewood. The two buildings on the right side closest to the viewer, now house Millburn Deli and Sawhorse Designs.